Sunday, March 30, 2014

In remembrance of a . . .


We were in need of somebody. Somebody who'd bless us, who'd teach us values. Somebody who'd keep us immune from anything bad. Somebody who'd live her life for us wholeheartedly!

I discussed this with my neighbor, who was a former teacher. She had just the right one in mind. I was delighted when I saw her. I had heard so much about her! Of course I'd seen her before, but never thought that one day I'll bring her to my house. We adopted her.

She was ever so bubbly. Vibrant, colorful. Whenever I saw her, I gave a broad smile. And she would gladly oblige. Me and her -- we sort of had a connection. I could sense the days when she was sad at me, furious at me. She would tell nothing, but I understood everything.

She was the one who taught me to be useful to others. She was indispensable. I used to help her keep her surroundings clean. She loved insects. She told, "who will care for them if I wont?". I did agree. Who would? She usually stayed outside the 4 walls of our 'home'. She liked being one with nature.

Once, I was leaving for my college. I looked at her. She was sad. I could feel it. I went near. She was not sad. She was furious. We were out for a day. And, she was left all for herself. She was thirsty. I asked her, "Why did you not remind us? Should have asked for it, right?". She did not respond. I thought she replied, "You all were busy enjoying. You did not remember me in your happiest times."

Days later, we found a suitable boy for her. All were fine with the match. "are you ok with him?", I asked her. She blushed. "Awwww. .", I muttered. The boy was wed to her. We all were in our best attires. She wore a bright red sari. The boy was to live with us, for ever.  She was very happy.

Once it rained heavily. The sky tore open, and was shooting thunderbolts all around. Poor girl. A thunderbolt snapped her arm. I couldn't forget that day. Must have been a Friday. She was starting to get better when I realized that something was wrong. Very very wrong. A parasite was slowly, yet steadily taking her away from me. This time I was furious. "Why did you NOT tell ME?!". I expected an other selfless answer. She did not reply. She lay quiet.

The final days were worse. She would not take help. I later found out, there was no cure available. She was getting frailer. She would look at the open skies, at the bright sun and wait. Her wait did end. She did not need water any more. She would not be the reason of my broad smile any more. You understand your emotions only when you have words to describe them. I'm devoid of words now. My plant, my dear Basil plant, my mother Tulsi is no more.

For more, visit Vivek Apparently Writes

P.S. In the Hindu traditions, the basil plant is wed to a Shaligram Stone :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment