Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Killing Spree


"My son is innocent. He is a very good boy. God have mercy on him if he ever did something wrong. He even saved a kitten from a dog the other day. He is an angel. He couldn't have shot 31 people. On a broad daylight you say? He never could have. Poor child, he even killed himself! Please, leave me alone. Don't make a murderer out of my son. Leave me alone!"

An hour earlier.

He was sitting in my Porsche. Oh the weather! The weather was so serene, calm. "Father said a calm weather precedes a storm". Puffing a cigarette, he was wondering, "What would happen if  Hannibal Lecter were here, in this piazza? He would shop for human livers, but wouldn't find any. Such a pity. I'd  be glad to offer him my liver!". He never liked human flesh. He tried once. It was disgusting. But Hannibal, he adored Hannibal and even contacted Thomas Harris for help. Thomas Harris wrote the infamous Hannibal Series inspired by a Mexican doctor. He wanted Thomas to give him the name. Thomas did give him the name, but alas! The real Hannibal died of hunger, hunger for human livers.



Today was the doctor's 1st death anniversary. He thought of celebrating it grand. He had no friends, only fiends. Here he was -- in his Porsche, champagne in hand, and Beethoven's sixth symphony in his ears. "I can't rip people. It's just too dirty. Plus, my shoes would get spoilt", he was arguing with the mirror. The voice from the mirror said, "Then why don't you honor the doctor by shooting? You even have a shotgun!". Yes, the Browning Auto-5. "My father gifted me this for my 18th birthday. How can I forget that?", he grinned.

An auto-loader shotgun whose production was stopped in 1998, it was a personal favorite of the buck hunters. Patented by John Browning in 1900, it was a beautiful machine. He loved the long nozzle, and was amazed by the high rear end. He named it 'Humpy'. His father used it in Vietnam War, and passed it down to him saying "This girl saved my ass from those Asians. Keep this with you. Now that you're 18!".


The piazza was bustling with people and hawkers. Fruits, meat, loaves, candies -- you name it! A small child was screaming, "I want one more!". The mother was reluctant. Touched, the hawker presented the little girl with another candy. She smiled. He beamed. On a corner-ledge, a sweet young couple were gazing at the clouds. Both were listening to some soft music on their headphones. Her head rested on his shoulder, and his head rested on her head. A kodak moment.

The weather was calm, and calm weather preceded a storm.

He had his skullcandy covering his ears. "Beethoven!", he shouted internally. His legs were swaying, and his entire body followed. He was waving his hands in mid-air, as if he were guiding the orchestra. It looked as if he was unmindful of the piazza and the people. He was lost in the music. Every good music has an end, lest it should become noise. Once Beethoven's Pathétique was over, his swaying hands reached the window of his car and pulled out his Browning A-5.

The people were unmindful of the dancing man. They chose to ignore him. With one quick swing, the shotgun was held between his fist and his right shoulder. Before anyone could realize what was happening, he shot the hawker. Eyes wide open, his mouth agape -- anticipating the scream which never made its way out. The mother quickly lifted her daughter and started running. "Not so fast grande dame! Your daughter even got an extra candy, right?", he was shouting as he aimed and shot the mother. The bullet pierced through her rib cage and bored through the daughter's skull. The crowd was running haphazardly. "Chaos", he murmured. He slowly walked towards the couple, whistling his favorite song "My Way" by Frank Sinatra. He blew his head in a thousand pieces with a bullet. She was aghast. He came closer. She forgot to breathe. He came closer, kissed her cheek and murmured "I love you, and want you to come with me". She hastily nodded her head, hoping he won't kill her. He took out his cellphone, took a selfie with her. He pushed her off the ledge, and shot her mid-air. "See? I knew I'm a good shooter!", he congratulated himself. He had a pristine bullet in his pocket. He loaded it, and aimed it at his chest. "Hannibal! This is my anniversary gift to you. 6 human livers! And yes, I don't rip. So, I'm giving you the trouble of ripping and cooking", he shot himself. The impact of the shot threw him off the short ledge, and he fell in the abyss of darkness. All this took 13 seconds. 6 universes were shattered in 13 seconds.

His father came to know about it from his secretary. "What? That son of a bitch! What will happen of my reputation?!! Get me the media guy on the phone now!". "Now listen you creep! My son did not kill them intentionally. All this was due to his illness. Invent some disease which can explain it all. This case should not f*cking go to the court. Call the families, and stuff these dollars in their dirty mouths!", he shouted.

"Good afternoon. In a tragic turn of events, Mr. James Trevor, the son of famed Hollywood Director Jonathan Trevor killed 5 and himself in a killing spree"
"BREAKING NEWS! Hollywood director's son kill 5 and shoots himself"
"HEADLINES! Beloved James Trevor dead. James Trevor was suffering from Asperger's Syndrome. Family mourns "
"NEWS NOW! James Trevor suffering from Asperger's Syndrome killed 5 people and killed himself. Jonathan Trevor to sue the doctor who was treating James"

"Ok. Do one more thing. Get our boys on facebook, twitter, reddit, and every other media forum and make them sing praises about my boy. Here, some happy photographs of his". "Yes sir, I'll get on it now". "And call the media near my house. They should not know that I called them"

"Oh! Please let me go. Please give me some privacy. I lost my son, and you're worried about interviews. You'll get the full report from me tomorrow morning. Please let me go.", the media found the legendary Jonathan Trevor sobbing incessantly.

"Sir! Social media is saying that James has Asperger's. Is this some ploy to get him off the hook?", an audacious reporter asked. "What?! Oh, Jesus! Save me! I am a law abiding citizen and all are equal before the law. My son had Asperger's. It is true. But he couldn't have killed so many. Please. Leave me alone", he sobbed and sobbed.

"Money can buy everything. It can buy you shotguns, it can buy you sympathy, it can buy you insanity, it can buy you grief, and it can buy you bliss", Jonathan thought. He was content that his step-son was dead. "How appropriate? The girl who saved my ass busted his ass!", he laughed as he took a sip of Scotch.

By V.k. Dadhich

Disclaimer:

The characters named above are fictional, and any resemblance with real-life people is purely co-incidental. Brand names like "SkullCandy" (a brand of headphones), "Brrowning A-5" (a type of shotgun), Porsche (a brand of car) are solely used for the story and not for publicity/defamation. The artist's names (Beethoven, Frank Sinatra) have been used incidentally, so has the social media website's names (facebook, reddit, twitter). Hannibal Lecter is a fictional character of the novels written by Thomas Harris, which was inspired by a Mexican Doctor. In the fiction, Hannibal is a cannibal. The name of Thomas Harris is used in this short-story to avoid the allegations of plagiarism of his character, apart from his unwarranted role in this short-story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment