Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mary Kom, Multiplex, and a feeling of Pride


Long story short, I went to a mall with my friends when I was dragged into the multiplex to watch a movie. My friends sponsored my ticket (yay me!). Inside, I was giggling, chatting around, giving spoilers and critiquing as the movie was progressing.

True, I held Mary Kom in high regard. True, I was not comfortable with the casting for the film. False, I hated the movie. 2 hours passed quite easily, and the last scene took us to the final match where Mary Kom was announced the winner. The emcee asked the people in the stadium to stand up for the national anthem. A melodious instrumental version of the Indian national anthem reverberated inside the multiplex. I wondered whether we should also stand. It was our national anthem after all, and the least we could do to show respect to our anthem, country and the freedom struggle is to stand straight, still and silent.

I even conveyed my thought to my friend. Just then, I noticed a guy from the 1st row stand. I ignored it thinking he may have a phone call to attend. Then, a guy from the 3rd row and later a guy from the 2nd row stood up. They all have phone calls to attend? Lucky that I was part of the last row, I saw the entire 4th row stood up in unison. It was the 100th Monkey Experiment, revamped. That gave me the needed signal. Even I stood up, and urged my friends to do the same. Soon, the entire multiplex hall was witness to a rare phenomenon. The audience was standing in rapt attention, respecting the national anthem. I didn't see the screen-light of a single smart-phone turn on amid this. We stood straight with pride on our faces.

The anthem met its end, and people sat back as if picture abhi baaki hai (there's still more to see). The credits started to roll, and we started moving slowly towards the aisle. In some strange way, I felt connected to all of them. I knew none in that crowd, apart from my friends. But, I felt that I could talk to any of them. Few were from north-east, few were from Kerala, and one was a Punjabi. All so different; yet so same. Because, we all stood for our national anthem. We all loved our country this much. I felt elated.

Back on our way to the food court, I saw my friend's faces. Even they were in their own trances. We did discuss what we just witnessed. We all were civil services aspirants, so naturally we were reminded of the rules and procedures of the National Flag and National Anthem of India. But, did the audience back in the multiplex know about the rules? Maybe not. Yet, they stood up. That, in my view, was amazing. Thank you, director sir -- for this unprecedented experience. Thank you for being the unwitting cupid in uniting a set of 100 strangers, even for a bare minute.

P.S. The gray, bold phrases are actually hyperlinks.

For more, visit Vivek Apparently Writes

0 comments:

Post a Comment