Monday, November 2, 2015

Returning awards?

One fine day,  a child decides to return his award to protest,  like the artists and writes did. Will his dad be able to help him out? Read through to find out!

"Daddy, I want to return my Chess Championship award which I got from Principal this year"

"Whoever gave you that idea?"

"News channels. So many artists, filmmakers, writers are returning awards and are getting their share of publicity. I want to be the first school child to return an award"

"So, you're returning award to get publicity? Doesn't sound selfless"

"Oh Ok. I'll say the dialogues they say"

"Which are?"

Clearing throat, "I'm returning the award to protest the growing inn-tolle-rans in the society"

"You meant intolerance?"

"Yes, that's what. Intolerance. And, I am distressed the way in-tell-ummm-chual"

"Intellectual", he whispered

"Intellectual voice is being supp-err"

"ressed. Suppressed."

"That's right. That's what they said"

"Ok, against whom should your protest should be registered?"

"The government"

"Umm, let's have another one. Who is it that perpetrated the violence?"

"Perprepared?"

"Perpetrated -- did the bad deed"

"Oh, the government"

"Are you sure?"

"Ummm, I think it's the people who did the bad deed"

"Korrect. So, against whom should your protest should be registered?"

"The people", came the meek reply.

"But Daddy, why are they returning awards?"

"First have this candy, then I'll tell you the answer", he -- not known to his child -- was enforcing positive behaviour

"The candy is tasty! I've always liked this flavor, thanks! Now, the answer!"

"Yes. The answer. Do you know how the nation functions? Let me help you. First, pick a pen and paper and draw a triangle"

The child fervently drew an oddly huge triangle, covering the entire A4 sheet of paper. He took the paper from his child, drew 3 lines parallel to its base and divided the triangle into 3 sections. It did look a little too big.

"Now, the top of the triangle is the central government which governs the entire nation. Below the central government is the state government. How many states do we have?"

"28!"

"Tch. 29. Which state did you forget?"

"Ummm, Telangana. Yes, it's 29!"

"So we have 29 state governments. The third section of the triangle is the people of the nation. Now, central and state government together govern the nation and it's people. There are some areas where only central government has the right to act, while there are some areas where only state government can act and there are a few areas where both the governments have a fair right to act"

"Too much information daddy! Again."

"Ok ok, I forgot I was talking to a thinking man. Let's rephrase. Central government is like your school principal, while state government is like your subject teacher"

"Wait. Wait. I think I got this. There are areas where subject teacher's decision is upheld, like the marks I receive for my test papers. And there are areas where principal's decision holds prioty --"

"Priority", he whispered.

"I forgot what I was saying! Yes, priority. Like, when to conduct the annual day -- that decision will be taken only by the Principal. And there are areas like conducting competitions where both subject teachers and principal work together!"

"Smart!"

"My candy?"

"You've exceeded your daily quota I'm afraid. But you can take our German Shephard out for a walk. ."

"Deal."

"So, in our country, there is a list which tells what is to be done by whom. Foreign policy, defence, etc. are to be done by Central government. Police, law and order, etc. are to be done by state government"

"Isn't defence and police the same thing?"

"There's a difference. When someone from outside creates trouble and we protect ourselves, that is defence. When someone from inside creates trouble, then it's a police problem"

"I got it a little, but continue"

"No worries. You can ask me anything anytime. So, when any one is killed or hurt or beaten, it is a law and order problem. And, who handles law and order?"

"State government!"

"Korrect. So, what do you understand by this?"

"Those people don't have daddy like I do. They should be returning awards to state government"

"Ummm, not exactly. Tell me, who gave you the prize for chess?"

"Principal"

"And, who judged your game?"

"Examiners were called from outside"

"So, who should you be returning awards to?"

"I don't get it"

"See, a jury and an audience discusses and decides who should be given what award. The central government simply announces the winner and gives that person the award"

"I still didn't get it. Who should they return awards then?"

"To no one. They didn't get awards to protest. They got awards for their work. They got awards so they can be recognized in their field and in the big nation called India. Returning the award is an insult to the jury, the audience, the nation, and their work"

The child sits wide-eyed.

"Listen child, I know why you're confused. How is returning the award an insult to their work? See, they worked hard,  did good things and got the award for the hard work and their creation. Right?"

"Riiiggght"

"So, if they return the award aren't they themselves undermining the recognition their creation got? Remember, they got the awards for their work and work alone. Did you get your chess award because you performed well and won or because you're my son or because of your name?"

"I got it because I deserved it. I defeated 16 opponents back to back, I worked hard. How could you say I got it because of my name?", the child was clearly agitated.

"Now you understand. Your chess award is not for you, it is for your hardwork."

"Oh, I get it."

"Anyone can give awards. I can, your principal can. But, who is getting the award? Your hardwork is. Who is collecting the award? You are, for your hardwork. Why do you think they announce in school that "This child got the Chess award for his persistence, hardwork and skill"? Ever thought about it?"

"You make sense.", the child sneered.

"I'm glad you found sense", he kissed his child's forehead.

"So child, tell me. Who are you going to return your award to?"

"No one. The award is not even mine to give. It belongs to my hardwork. But, "

"But, if you're not returning award, then how should you protest? How should those artists protest?"

"You stole my words!"

"I am your daddy for a reason", he chuckles, "Now back to the point. Their work should speak for themselves. If an artist wants to protest, create art to protest! Tel me, how can a writer protest?"

"By writing! A writer got his award because he is good in writing. So, the best way in which he can protest is by writing! He should write and spread the word!"

"How should a filmmaker protest?"

"By making films!"

"How should intellectuals protest?"

"By holding discussions and helping people understand!"

"But, aren't people the ones who do the bad deed?"

"No. Some people do bad deed, and all the people get a bad name. Like in my school, there's a boy who cheated in an exam and got all of us a bad name."

"So, one last one. How should you protest?"

"By playing chess!"

He looked intrigued.

"Ummm, not by playing chess. But. . . Then. . .  "

"It's not your business to protest. You can protest when something affects you or the school-children directly. The best thing you can do is to study hard, play harder, and grow up to become a responsible citizen."

"Right. I'll become a responsible citizen, be a part of the administration and strengthen my country!"

"You make sense"

"I'm glad you found sense", the child sneered.

"Look who's stealing words now?", he ruffled his child's hair.

"Ok daddy. I get it. Foreign policy and defence part I'll clarify with you later. My shephard is waiting for a walk."

"Alright. Go have a walk. And you both take care."

"Yessshhhhh daddy!"

3 comments: